Last night I had the most brilliant post idea. Calculate the volume of rock Chilean workers will have to remove from the 700 meter long hole they're digging to rescue the miners. Put it into a perspective that people can comprehend, and then maybe it will be easier to understand why this process is going to take so long. Another blogger I follow compared the depth of the hole to the height of some famous buildings. But I bet nobody's thought of my idea!
Excellent. I get out my calculator.
1. Calculate volume. Easy. I was working on volume with one of my students at work today. I feel pretty confident. I'm going to calculate it in cm (cubed).
- Pi * radius(squared) * height
- 3.14 * 60cm (squared) * 700meters
- = 197820000cm(cubed)
- 197820000/100 = 1978200m(cubed)
So, I go on to the internet to see if I can relate this amount to something. I google "cubic meter facts" and come up with some startling information.
I have to divide by 1000000 not 100. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Oh well, maybe the number is still impressive and all is not lost.
- 197820000/1000000 = (drum roll) 197.8 cubic meters.
Suddenly my dreams of being discovered by a major news network come crashing down. The volume amounts to about 50 of these.
Super boring. What's taking those guys so long?
Until next time...take care,