Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Things You Should Never Pay Full Price For - Part II

Movie Rentals

I know, I know.  This seems like a bit of a no-brainer.  I hear you saying, "Why would I pay for a movie when I can download it for free?"  True.  And don't get me wrong, I too have been known to sail the high seas of the internet, pirating the odd movie and downloading cheesy 80's music here and there.  But I'm tired of viruses and poor quality movies, or watching an excellent film only to find that the language switches to Farsi halfway through. 

I used to be a faithful Roger's Video customer.  I wanted to support a Canadian company (if they are in fact still Canadian?)  But then, last month, I decided to switch to Blockbuster because I had accumulated late charges at Roger's.  Oh, how quick our alliances change when $1.50 is on the line.



I wasn't really expecting much from Blockbuster.  The stores are a bit worn-looking, and really the whole idea of going out to rent a DVD seems a little primitive.  BUT, they have a FANTASTIC deal at the moment.  Basically, for $10 a month you can rent as many movies as you want, as long as they're not new releases.  The only stipulation is that you rent one movie at a time. The information about the deal is here.

So far, I've rented Michael Clayton, Bowling for Columbine and several Family Guy episodes.  It's super easy, and cheap cheap cheap...and probably because everyone else in the Western world is downloading movies or streaming video from the internet, the store was almost empty, so the selection was fantastic. 

I'm going to give Blockbuster two thumbs way up!  (Oh, and Rogers?  Just try and get your buck fifty back!)

Take care,

1 comment: